Methodist Hospital of Sacramento is academically affiliated with the Department of Family Practice at the University of Southern California (USC).
The majority of community based Family Practice Residency Programs throughout this country are academically affiliated with universities in order to ensure availability of academic resources needed for medical education. Particular needs include the expertise of teaching faculty and availability of an established educational system.
In Sacramento, Dignity Health is a large healthcare system with a long history of providing great resources for medical education to University of California, Davis students, residents and fellows. The Family Practice Residency Program utilized its resources effectively and efficiently and obtained the prestigious full accreditation.
Our affiliation with the University of Southern California enhances the educational resources available to the program and Methodist Hospital of Sacramento. The affiliation also provides additional resources for faculty development and exchange, collaborative research and scholarly activities, and benchmarking of teaching and clinical productivity. Reciprocally, the Residency Program provides a training site and educational resources for USC students in Northern California.
The following is a list of the Academic Support Services available to the program from the University:
- Teleconferencing and teleconsultation
- Faculty development seminars and fellowship through the division of medical education
- Faculty exchange
- CME courses offered by the department and the university
- Coordination and resource sharing with program directors
- Administration and management training
- Education for programs and resources
- Standardization and benchmarking of teaching/clinical productivity
- Research and scholarship collaboration
- Participation in the research network
- Online access to USC's internet/library/e-mail
- Sharing of residents' special rotations
- Distance education
- Recruitment of faculty and residents for specific programs
- Grantsmanship education and grant writing collaboration